Spot-breasted Lapwing, Erlanger’s Lark, Rouget’s Rail, Ruddy Shelduck, Golden Eagle, Red-billed Chough, Blue-winged Goose, Black-headed Siskin, Wattled Ibis, and Abyssinian Longclaw are the species you only find in the the Ethiopia’s Bale Mountain National Park.
Wondo Genet, Lake Langano Dinsho, Harenna Forest in the Bale Mountains, and several sites within short distance of Addis Ababa, including Debre Libanos, Menagesha Forest, and the Entoto Hills are the best places to spot Abyssinian Catbird, Yellow-fronted Parrot, White-cheeked Turaco, Abyssinian Woodpecker, White-backed Tit, Abyssinian Slaty Flycatcher, and Abyssinian Oriole.
The Rift Valley, which is dotted with several large lakes, has few endemics but offers diverse and enjoyable savannah and wetland birding. Lake Langano, Awash National Park, and Nechisar National Park are some of the best birding spots in the Rift Valley, with species like the African Swallow-tailed Kite, Abyssinian Ground Hornbill, Arabian Bustard, Somali Fiscal, Red-winged, White-winged, and Singing Bush Larks, as well as a slew of migrant waterbirds from the Afrotropics and the Palearctic. High diversity and endemism combine to provide absolutely superb birding in the country’s south.
The endemic Rupoli’s Turaco, White-tailed Swallow, Ethiopian Bush Crow, and Liben Lark are among the sought-after specials of the wonderful region bounded by Yabelo in the west and Negele in the east. Many of these species, particularly the Liben Lark, are severely threatened by agriculture and rangeland degradation, with only a few hundred individuals remaining in a small patch of grassland close to the Negele area.
List of Endemics
- Abyssinian Catbird – Parophasma galinieri
- Abyssinian Longclaw – Macronyx flavicollis
- Ethiopian Siskin – Serinus nigriceps
- Blue-winged Goose – Cyanochen cyanoptera
- Nechisar Nightjar – Caprimulgus solala
- Spot-breasted Lapwing – Vanellus melanocephalus
- White-tailed Swallow – Hirundo megaensis
- Yellow-throated Serin – Crithagra flavigula
- Red-billed Pytilia – Pytilia lineata
- Black-winged Lovebird – Agapornis taranta
- Yellow-fronted Parrot – Poicephalus flavifrons
- Salvadori’s Serin – Crithagra xantholaema
- Ankober Serin – Crithagra ankoberensis
- Harwood’s Francolin – Pternistis harwoodi
- Prince Ruspoli’s Turaco – Tauraco ruspolii
- Stresemann’s Bush – Crow Zavattariornis stresemanni